Sunday, December 20, 2015

I’m Not Vegan Anymore? - Visiting Kuta / Bali, Indonesia

Coming to you from the poolside…

In life you meet a very small handful of people who are special to you. They bring you complete joy, they warm your heart and they offer the most pleasing company. 
In my handful of these people, that are close to my heart, reside in the area of Kuta in Bali. Since coming to Bali since 2009 I have come across the most beautiful souls. This is my eighth time on this paradise island, and I know the difference between those who are your ‘friend’ because of the things you buy from them and those that are your friend because you both bring joy to each other and share honest care to each other. Each trip the bond becomes stronger yet as I get older it becomes a little more fun because I can share a Bintang or five with them! It is true when they say, it is not the place that makes it but it is the people that make it. Bali wouldn’t be my favourite place in the world if it wasn’t for the people.

I’m not going to sit here and write about these people, because I’d honestly be sitting by this pool all day… Yet, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea, does it? But I will tell you, that one of them is the most kind-hearted, gentle and grateful individuals I have ever met and he never fails to make me smile. He gives us his ‘cheap shit’ (jewellery and accessories), but the bond is so close, our family to his and we always help him when he is in need. Another young man, the most funny and down to earth person I have ever met, the most popular Balinese you’ll ever meet. He is a true Balinese, but conveys the most hardcore Aussie accent I have ever heard. I can sit with him for hours and talk utter crap with him and I know if I ever get into trouble while on the island, I can rely on him. Lastly, a lady that resides on the island, but is not Balinese. She puts her heart and soul into protecting the dogs of Bali, and will go out of her way to put them before herself. Her passion, and kind and warm humour is the best company to be around.

I mention these three individuals because they have had the most impact on me. I have met SO many people like these three, but my connection with these crazy, but amazing people is unique and special. I love being around everyone I have met in Bali, and I enjoy all their company. The Balinese are incredible people, the best people I have come across. Whether it’s my Dad’s tattooist, that guy that owns the pub, that man that sells the ice-cream I met when I was 11 or whether it’s that security guard outside our favourite resort. All of them, have a special place in my heart.

Now for the question of the day, am I still living a Vegan lifestyle? That answer today is negative. From yesterday, I cannot call myself a Vegan anymore. Not because I am against the lifestyle, or I think it is not the healthiest way to eat anymore. Rather it be a gut instinct, and coming to the realisation that it has psychologically been difficult for me. I am not living this lifestyle anymore because of the pressure it has had on me for the past few weeks. Not a negative pressure, or an unhealthy result it has had on me, but rather that it holds me back. I still wish to live with a plant-based and whole foods diet and avoid dairy as much as I can. But, I will not let the pressure of consuming an egg or a sprinkle of cheese let it define me. If I want some scrambled eggs, I won’t let the label of ‘Vegan’ stop me, and if I go out to eat in public and there is no non-dairy option then I won’t let that anxiety come back to bite me on the ass. 
My mental state and psychological health is more important to me than anything, if my diet is causing so much anxiety and strain on me then I need to do something about it. The path I now lead will be Vegetarian, and I need to get my digestive system in order by slowly introducing diary back into my system, or there will be hours on the toilet…

I do still support the Vegan movement, and I wish it was educated more into society and I will aim to put a meat-less and non-dairy option first, but if that cannot be the case then that will be OK to consume dairy or meat. I feel mature about this decision, and I am confident to say that a full Vegan lifestyle is not for me. I am still an advocate for the treatment of animals, and understand the effects the meat and dairy industry have on the animals. But as everyone should, putting our mental capacity at risk can be threatening, and putting ourselves first is most important. I was over the anxiety and depressing feelings from certain aspects of the lifestyle. Life is too short, and at the end of the day what we put into our bodies is our decision. There is no point in stressing over the most simple thing that us humans have to do in order to survive… EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment